Is social media making us unhappy?


Well I am just having a chill day today, making the most of it, before my life goes mentally busy again. Working 40 plus hours a week, as well as fitting in my running, life and everything else I will need to do. It is strange when you think how much we try and pack into life, especially when a lot of the time we are too busy to even appreciate the experiences!  It is such a shame, in a world full of social media, selfies and trying to prove to the outside world how amazingly interesting your life is. It would seem that we are not actually having such an amazing time, in this competitive and what appears to be fake world! We are too busy looking through the lens, instead of past it. I know a lot of people might disagree with my thoughts on here, but these are my thoughts and I want to share them.
Social media has a major influence on the self-confidence and happiness of people
The pressures of everyday life and having the” complete” life seem to be having a major influence on the self-confidence and happiness of people, men and women alike.  Young people, especially,  are misusing the social media tools given to them and creating false impressions of themselves that are fueling their own insecurities, as well as the insecurities of their peers. It is like a vicious circle. I mean we all know the duck faces, the filters with cat ears, etc. I have to say I have 1, maybe 2 of these, taken by friends (I am not trying to sound cool, I have no Snapchat, or anything with these filters. Mainly because I would never remember what I had said on Snapchat, as I heard it disappears once you have typed or something?!)However I don’t take these seriously, I also have many more photos of me looking a mess, drunken and stupid. That is me, it is who I am. I am not perfect, I am human and none of us are perfect. Newsflash!
How much time do you spend on social media?
We have millions of people logging into Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Snapchat  and even Pinterest, (no idea how to use this either. There is such a growth in the amount of social media platforms , I can’t keep up) bragging about the great things that are happening in their lives. We know this because we see it every day. How much time do you spend on social media? The answer is possibly more time than you do with actual people. When you are on social media, do you spend your time comparing yourself to others, who seem to have their shit together, not only their looks? I think if we are honest we all do. Oh look at her, when did she buy that house? Do you think she has had work done? She always looks skinny and amazing (insert your sad and jealous face here)!  Chances are she is living in huge debt to buy that house, the other might just be blessed with good looks, or upped her make-up/filter game. The buffed up babe might actually have to go to the gym 5 times a week and hate every minute, especially thanks to her restricted diet. No one know the struggle of another, but we are all struggling. Another excuse, just to be nice.
Is there a link between social media sites and depression?
Plenty of businesses and people have researched the link between social media sites and depression. There definitely seems to be a link and it is something that really worries me. I mean, even young, slim, pretty and successful “celebrities” . I use this word cautiously, as I think this is also something that has changed; the definition of celebrity. Previously, you needed a talent, a sort of grace and presence in order to be a celebrity, like an idol. Nowadays you just need to go on a reality programme and act like an idiot, sleep with people on TV, or even just cause drama.
I think this is where it all starts to go wrong. How can someone on minimum wage afford to have the personal trainers, cooks, surgeries, airbrushed photos that some of these people can afford and have?  So how realistic is it to compare yourself to someone else?
Love yourself, embrace you!
By all means have aspirations and goals, but really think about what that is you want. Do you really want to only look, live, or be like someone else? You are good enough. You are amazing. Be happy to be you. You are unique. I sometimes wonder if there will be a day when we all look the same, same catlike features, same figures. Remember success isn’t only about money, looks and the superficial. I would love to be able to be a nurse, or doctor. However, I pass out at the sight of blood, but these are everyday people who make a huge difference to other people’s lives, they rock!
I happen to love the likes of Marilyn Monroe, (for you younger readers, she was an American actress, model and singer. She became one of the most popular sex symbols of the 1950s and guess what she had her own look and wasn’t a size zero and was gorgeous. Shock, horror). This was maybe due to the fact that this was a time when comparisons weren’t so important, people weren’t surrounded by enforced ideas of “perfection”. All in all I just hope that instead of just enjoying other people’s accounts and keeping up with their lives and looks, you can live in the moment. Be happy with who you are, wean yourself off social media. Most of all I hope you can love yourself, believe that you don’t need to prove anything to anyone and love the life you live in the moment you’re living it.



Comments

Post a Comment

Trending Posts