The Fat Girls' Guide to Marathon Running by Julie Creffield


The Fat Girls' Guide to Marathon Running by Julie Creffield

So what a difference a year makes. Had you told me 1 year ago that I would be running and using my weekend to read a book about running I would have laughed. Yet here I am engrossed in this great book; The Fat Girls' Guide to Marathon Running by Julie Creffield.

As the name suggests this is a no bullshit guide for women wanting to run a marathon, regardless of size, fitness level and confidence. I found this book witty, relatable and inspirational. It not only follows Julie’s journey of running marathons as a plus size runner, but those of others to, some of whom she trained herself.  In the beginning of the book she also gives a brief history of womens running and I have to say I was surprised reading this. Also addressing the fear that us women seem to have inside us, when setting ourselves new goals in any part of our lives.

As well as the practicalities of things you will need to help you on your journey of running a marathon, there is an honest view of how you might feel mentally throughout each stage, as well as how those around you might react. I have to say I was shocked and saddened by the comments some of these women have had to put up with, not only from strangers, but also family and friends! All you people thinking that shouting crap at people running is funny, just don’t be a dick, have some respect.

 Whilst showing you why Julie and others decided to take the plunge to run a marathon(s). It also helps you to tailor a training plan and talks about things like food, etc all in a non-threatening, or confusing way, (believe me I have read some books where they might as well have been writing in another language).

Not only is this book witty, it is also written in a warm way where you feel you are actually having a conversation with the author and at times I found myself thinking, “I would love to go for a drink and chat with Julie” maybe this is due to the fact that this book seems to be rather personal and the level of honesty takes you on an emotional rollercoaster. At times I felt sad, proud, shocked and laughed, to name just a few emotions.

The part I literally laughed out loud to was The Stuff That Nobody Talks About, addressing what happens to all of your bits while training and running likeMingeries” and “not trusting a fart”. This part really resonated with me, let’s just say I feel way more normal now, thanks to a few “Mingeries” since I started running.  While I agree with most of the things said in this book with regards to running I have to say I differ on a couple of things; I am not sure I want to run as far as a marathon, but now I know I could do it if I put my mind to it (thanks to this book). I always run with a water belt. I am lucky that all of the men in my running group are supportive and helpful, so haven’t had some of the comments others have had from men, thankfully. Showing each experience is unique.

One paragraph that really hit me like a brick was the following;

“Being awesome holds mirrors up to other people and sometimes they don’t like what they see. That is not your shit to deal with, it’s theirs. Do not let it derail you. Stay focused and keep your eye on the prize. Human beings are strange and major life changing events bring out the best and worst in people. Get rid of toxic people, or at least move them out of your mind.”

I find this relates to all parts of life and I truly found this piece of writing like a lightbulb moment, it is them and not you. I want this on a shirt so I can look at it daily and remember that. Don’t let others bring you down.

All in all this book is a must read, one that will inspire you and make you have more confidence in us women, but more importantly yourself. To be honest even if you aren’t thinking of running a marathon, but just want a pick me up and to read about someone’s inspiring journey.
If you are reading Julie, thank you and keep up your amazing work. 

This book is now available to buy online and instore. 













Comments

Trending Posts